I’ve been dreaming of sailing in the British Virgin Islands for a while now. I even posted on how to plan a sailing vacation. Well, I’m not just dreaming anymore – we decided to go ahead and do it. The question is just which month and exactly how much are we going to spend on airfare!
I took a liveaboard sailing class a year ago September in the British Virgin Islands and loved it – I blogged about it. (Remember the entries are in reverse order.)
Here are some reasons to sail in the BVI:
- It’s beautiful.
- The snorkeling is awesome. I’ve seen turtles, octopus, squid, barracuda, … in addition to the regular coral and fish.
- You can always see land.
- All the islands have beaches with great sand and beach bars.
- Warm water. Even I don’t get cold after a couple of hours in the water.
- Everybody there is in a good mood. (Probably because they are all on vacation. 🙂
- Boats. Sailboats.
- Sailing. Crossing the ocean silently with the wind in your hair and the sun on your face.
- People. Everyone is ready to sit back, have a beer and laugh. Or dance. Or party.
- Willy T’s. The bar on a boat.
- Foxys. The beach bar.
- Great weather. It’s the same 75-85 all year around.
- The place on top of the Baths with the great hammocks.
- The Baths. Who doesn’t like scrambling through rocks and caves. Especially caves that are open to the sunlight!
- Good food. Conch fritters, anyone?
I’m very much looking forward to going back!