Are you happy at work?
According to the Chiumento Happiness at Work Index the top ten things that make us happy at work are (in order):
- Friendly, supportive colleagues
- Enjoyable work
- Good boss or line manager
- Good work/life balance
- Varied work
- Belief that we’re doing something worthwhile
- Feeling that what we do makes a difference
- Being part of a successful team
- Recognition for our achievements
- Competitive salary
I’ve heard that having a best friend at work is the best way to make sure you are happy at work!
Interestingly enough, the things that make us unhappy are not quite the opposite of that:
- Lack of communication from the top
- Uncompetitive salary
- No recognition for achievements
- Poor boss/line manager
- Little personal development
- Ideas being ignored
- Lack of opportunity for good performers
- Lack of benefits Work not enjoyable
- Not feeling that what I do makes a difference
So, for example, making a good salary won’t necessarily make you happy but making a bad salary is likely to make you unhappy. So a good salary is necessary in order to be happy but it doesn’t make you happy in and of itself.