My sister sent me a message asking for some fantasy book recommendations for a tween girl. No science fiction; old school authors are ok.
That’s my favorite kind of question! What did I like to read around middle school age?
Here’s the list I sent. Makes me want to curl up for the rest of the day with a pile of books. What would you add?
- Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonsong trilogy. I wanted some firelizards in the worst way! It’s about a girl in a fishing village who loves music but music isn’t what her family values to keep them all fed. It takes place in the same world as Dragonriders of Pern but the main character is school aged girl. (There’s no Kindle edition which is tragic.)
- Marion Zimmer Bradley is probably my favorite pure fantasy author but I don’t know if it’s the best for tweens. The Darkover books were the ones I was thinking of.
- So You Want to Be a Wizard? by Diane Duane was one of my favorites. It felt like it could happen to you. (And it is on Kindle. Kindle Unlimited in fact.)
- My 14 year old boy really liked all of Rick Riordan’s books. They are set in present day with mythical legend that live among us.
- I really liked Robin McKinley, especially The Blue Sword. I just reread them recently. And looking her up, I discovered that she has a book I haven’t read! So I bought Shadows for my plane ride home tonight.
- And of course, Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time. Except I think I was more of a teenager than a tweener when I enjoyed that.
What else would you add to the list?